Monday, September 29, 2008

Le premièr mois est passé

Salut tous! I apologize for not writing in a while, but it has been busy the last few weeks, plus I got slowed down with a nasty cold this last week. A few weekends ago, I went with the Gonzaga students to Saint Malo and Mt. Saint Michel. It was a blast and the weather was beautiful! It was nice because I had never been to Saint Malo before and it was a very cool old little fortress town, and I would reccommend visiting if you ever are in France. We walked around the fortress and the beach, ate lunch, took picutres and all that fun stuff. The next day we went to Mt. Saint Michel which I had visited the last time I was here. I had a great time the second time around and I never fail to be enchanted by how old and interesting the island is. I have always said I thought it looks like a snow-globe without a dome, so this time, I bought a snow globe of the island. I passed on visiting the Abbey a second time around, partly cause it was crazy busy, and partly cause I had already done it and wanted more time to explore the shops. It was a fun weekend, but I most definitely paid for it when I got back really late and had massive amounts of homework that I am still catching up on (I'm not behind on the syllabus which is a good thing, just behind where I would like to be for organizational purposes).

The last few weeks have been nice. Not too stressful, and not too slow. I made it out to Disneyland the last two wednesdays and was surprised that they have already started setting up for halloween. Wednesdays are a great day to go because there was no one there and I did everything I wanted in just a few hours. I didn't make it out to IKEA originally planned last monday because of a Movement Social (organized strike) on the one line going to IKEA. So we (my friend Caitlin and I) went last friday to a different IKEA, which didn't work out that well since it was IKEA Cuisines (which means it was a kitchen store), and we didn't need anything for our kitchens. On Saturday however, we finally made it out to the real IKEA! It was great, but also hard because we had to exercise a lot of self-control which was a little easier by the fact that we went at the last minute and only had an hour to shop for specific things we needed. I bought a desk (which I still haven't had time to assemble) and Caitlin graciously helped me carry it back to my apartment. Which means on the bus to the RER to the Merto to my apartment building then up eight flights of stairs!!!! Luckily it wasn't too heavy, just an awkwardly sized box. Needless to say I bought her dinner.

Two Sundays ago I went with the Gonzaga students to Chateau de Nitray for a vendange (or grape harvest), and it was just as much fun as it was the last time I did it (almost more fun since the weather was much better). The only thing that was hard was that we got back really late (later than we were supposed to) so by the time I got home and did everything I needed to get ready for today (monday), then got in bed it was 1:30 am. This would not be that big of a deal had I got more than five hours of sleep on friday (stayed up to watch the presidential debates at 3 am to 5 am here, then for some reason was wide awake at 10am ) and saturday (didn't get home from IKEA till midnight then had to get up at 5 for Chateau de Nitray) nights. I'm pretty sure this is what contributed to this awful cold that I am now recovering from.

I had my first class at the Sorbonne on thursday (it was make up class for a class we are going to miss in November, and its before school even starts). It was nerve wracking. I was able to understand the gist of what the professor was saying (well most of it really, but I'm not quite sure if I heard it right or not). It was atrociously long too, four hours!!!! Luckily, no other class I have (including that one) will ever be that long again.  

I have quite a lot of work ahead of me this next week. A little bit of catch up from being sick, but I have everything done for this week that needs to be done, and that is most important. Plus a module (or simulation) this week. It is essentially an entire class fit into three days. But they make it fun and interesting cause it is a hands on simulation type thing. I will let you all know how it goes. 

I hope everone is doing well! Feel free to comment or e-mail (reverett@gonzaga.edu).

No comments: